Tuesday, July 17, 2012

'Cocktail' movie review

SPOILER ALERT: So I don't plan on spoiling anything for you intentionally. I honestly don't think there's anything really to spoil. But some people are super sensitive about spoiling movies and whatnot, so this is my warning to you. It is completely your choice to read on or not!

Also, just an fyi, I took a film class this past semester and I can never think of films the same way again. So I don't watch films like most normal people. Just throwin' that out there.

This evening I saw the Bollywood film, Cocktail with my mom, Naz, and a few other friends. Here is the movie poster, if you're not sure what I'm talking about:


Before going into the movie, I watched the trailers and whatnot and predicted what would happen. 

Here was my prediction, word for word:  
Girl 1 is good girl. Girl 2 is party girl. Girl 1 is friends with Girl 2. Boy messes around with Girl 2 but doesn't expect a relationship. Girl 1 hates Boy, but Boy and Girl 1 eventually fall in love. Girl 2 falls in love with Boy. Girl 1 finds out Girl 2 loves Boy so she backs off. At the end, after many tears, Girl 2 lets Girl 1 have Boy. The end.

Here is what happened in the movie:
Girl 1 is good girl. Girl 2 is party girl. Girl 1 is friends with Girl 2. Boy messes around with Girl 2 but doesn't expect a relationship. Girl 1 hates Boy, but Boy and Girl 1 eventually fall in love. Girl 2 falls in love with Boy. Girl 1 finds out Girl 2 loves Boy so she backs off. At the end, after many tears, Girl 2 lets Girl 1 have Boy. The end.

There were a few modifications here and there that I won't discuss, but the core plot was basically stated above. I won't spend too much time on the little details of the plot.

Needless to say, the movie was very predictable. For example.... Wait, before I tell you my example, this might be considered a spoiler for some, so if you're one of those sensitive people, stop reading now. So there's a scene where party girl, a.k.a. Veronica (played by Deepika), gets hit by a car. The way the scene was directed, I was expecting her to be hit by a car. She was completely wasted, standing in the middle of the street, and something dramatic was yet to happen in the film. Boom, enter car. Car hits party girl and we got some action going on. I mean, what's a Bollywood film without a visit to the hospital?

Okay, moving on to cast and crew, etc. The film was directed by Homi Adajania. I would say this is his first mainstream, filmy-type of movie. Direction was okay overall. Club scenes were shot really well, but there were too many of them. I also liked how he showed the awkwardness between the characters in some of the scenes. 

The movie starred Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone, and newcomer Diana Penty. I felt like Saif was just kinda there in the movie. He didn't really have much of a role except for being a part of the love triangle. The movie mainly revolved around Deepika and Diana. I'm not a huge Deepika fan but I have to say this was probably her best film, acting-wise. And she looked hot! Diana did awesome for a newcomer. I'm a huge fan already and she is absolutely beautiful. The girls did good in this movie.


I enjoyed the music! It was done by Pritam, and he hasn't been giving the best music lately but this was definitely a good comeback. The music wasn't lyrically the best, but it's the perfect music to jam to in the car or when you're cleaning your room. My personal favorites are "Tumhi Ho Bandhu" and "Second Hand Jawani." Links are here and here, respectively.

Overall, I would give Cocktail a B. Average Bollywood movie. Definitely something fun to watch with friends if you have nothing better to do. Nothing too unexpected.

If you've seen it, tell me what were your thoughts! Don't forget to follow us on twitter (@heraspeaking and @nazday) and like our Facebook page. We're also on Instagram (same usernames as our Twitter accounts).

Thank you for always listening to my rants. 

:),
Hera

No comments:

Post a Comment


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You seemed to have stumbled upon our blog.

We're Hera and Naz. Both of us are full time biology majors at the lovely University of Southern Indiana. When we're not out doing nerdy school stuff, we enjoy shopping, drinking slushies, and of course, writing on this awesome blog.

'What Makes the World Go Round' was started in August of 2011 to be a catch-all for our thoughts. We try and update as much as we can, depending on how hectic our lives. So bear with us. :) Please feel free to browse (by clicking on the cloud tabs above), comment and/or subscribe. We love hearing what you have to say!

Oh, and also remember to visit often. Happy browsing!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...