Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year-2012

2012 is right around the corner.  It's promised to be year of excitement: all of our new shows are coming back on TV, the beginning of the end of the world is occurring (notice the sarcasm), etc. As all of you welcome and celebrate the upcoming year,  I'm sure many of you will be making New Years resolutions.

I never understood New Year's resolutions. Why do we need the coming of a new year in order to improve ourselves? I suppose there's a certain appeal of starting a new year: a fresh perspective on the flaws that you see in yourself. However, with most people I've seen (including myself) these resolutions last for about the first 2 weeks of January and then fall flat. For example, one of my New Years resolutions is always to lose weight--cliche, I know. As you can imagine, it never happens. Then I make the same resolution the next year and the year after that. I do it without thinking, because that's what you're supposed to do.

I've decided to break the cycle and not just go through the motions.  Within the last weeks, I've come across some personal problems, in which I sincerely wish the people around me would change.  I kept thinking "Why are these people acting this way? What is wrong with them? Why can't they see what I see or at least let me be in peace?" Last night, I realized you can't change people. You can only change yourself and avoid the people who try and hold you back from success. So that's what I'm going to do.

This year, I'm not going to have shallow resolutions. Instead, I'm going to try and make resolutions that will make me happy and benefit those around me. Here it goes:
  1.  I will surround myself with people who are positive and avoid negativity as much as possible. Too often, I have justified keeping people who try and hold me back in my life. I'm not going to do this anymore. 
  2. I will be kinder, sympathetic, and more open to people who I don't know. This is something I truly need to work on because I think I can be overly judgmental sometimes. 
  3. I will work even harder next semester and do even better than I did this semester.
  4. I will make of an effort to contact my siblings when I'm away at school, instead of just being depressed that they're not there. 
Overall, 2011 was an awesome year for me. I graduated from high school, got the scholarship of my dreams, and was constantly surrounded with people I love and respect. These people include my wonderful and supporting parents, my beautiful siblings who I love more than any other people in the world, and my friends. It was only the very end of the year that brought me down a little. Hopefully, these New Years resolutions will help change that. 

If you're like me, and feel a little down, there are some enticing words from Dia Frampton and Kid Cudi which you may find interesting. Hera shared this with me and I love it. Have a listen:



So I end with: What are your New Years resolutions? Comment here or on our Facebook page. 

Have a wonderful New Years and we will meet next year!

Cheers,

Naz

Ps. Check out Hera's New Years post here

No comments:

Post a Comment


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You seemed to have stumbled upon our blog.

We're Hera and Naz. Both of us are full time biology majors at the lovely University of Southern Indiana. When we're not out doing nerdy school stuff, we enjoy shopping, drinking slushies, and of course, writing on this awesome blog.

'What Makes the World Go Round' was started in August of 2011 to be a catch-all for our thoughts. We try and update as much as we can, depending on how hectic our lives. So bear with us. :) Please feel free to browse (by clicking on the cloud tabs above), comment and/or subscribe. We love hearing what you have to say!

Oh, and also remember to visit often. Happy browsing!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...