Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kissing the Rainbow

We've been discussing about what's been happening around the world, but I thought for today, I'd bring it back home to the States.

I just read an article about the aftermath of the tornado that hit Tuscaloosa, Alabama back in April and it absolutely touched my heart (not trying to sound cheesy, I promise). I don't know if any of you heard about it but 47 people died, six of which were college students that attended the local Crimson University. On August 6th, the students were finally able to graduate but without their fellow classmates.  The announcers called the 6 deceased names and their parents had to get their diplomas for them.

It was just got me thinking about how unpredictable life really is. I mean, imagine being the parents or friends of those six dead students. Those young men and women had their whole lives ahead of them. They were doing everything right: graduating from college, getting jobs, and starting their lives as productive citizens of society...and it was all instantly taken away.  The unfairness of it all baffles me.

Just a few short months ago, I graduated high school and now I'm getting ready to head off to college. I feel as though there are so many opportunities for me; the world is mine for the taking and I'm so excited (if not a little nervous). But I was thinking, these Crimson students were probably thinking and feeling the same things. They probably weren't that different from me; honest, hardworking people, eagerly waiting to make a decent life for themselves. I think the phrase "sometimes bad things happen to good people" applies here perfectly.

It's stories like this that remind me life is precious and should never be taken for granted. So with that, I leave you with this quote which I believe sums up the matter nicely:

"Life is not always fair.  Sometimes you get a splinter even while sliding down a rainbow."


Please feel free to read the full article here

Till next time,
Naz


[Pssst. This is Hera hijacking Naz's post. I just wanted to say that Naz is moving into her college dorm today so send her your good wishes! ^_^]

1 comment:


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You seemed to have stumbled upon our blog.

We're Hera and Naz. Both of us are full time biology majors at the lovely University of Southern Indiana. When we're not out doing nerdy school stuff, we enjoy shopping, drinking slushies, and of course, writing on this awesome blog.

'What Makes the World Go Round' was started in August of 2011 to be a catch-all for our thoughts. We try and update as much as we can, depending on how hectic our lives. So bear with us. :) Please feel free to browse (by clicking on the cloud tabs above), comment and/or subscribe. We love hearing what you have to say!

Oh, and also remember to visit often. Happy browsing!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...