Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tickling My Brain

Name: Zox
Sounds like: Probably nothing you've ever heard before :)
Start with: "Line in the Sand" click here

I don't know about you guys but I've not heard of many bands that combine classical music with rock. It sounds out of place doesn't it? I mean aren't classical and rock music practically oxymorons? Well not according to indie classical rock band, Zox. And by "classical rock" I don't mean that they're like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. I mean they're actually taking classical music and infusing it with rock beats and they do it shockingly well.

Just look at the music video, for instance. The guy is playing a violin that wouldn't be out of place at an orchestra concert. But the guys around him are rocking out with their electric guitars. Call me a music nerd but I think that's pretty awesome and it kind of blows my mind. These guys' sound is not one I've heard before and I think that's why it caught my attention when it was blasting in my friend's car.  It's the kind of music that makes you do a double take-"what IS this song?" That's exactly what happened to me today when this song came on shuffle and I was reminded why I fell in love with Zox in the first place.


I think the reason I am so intrigued by this band is because they do my favorite thing that any artist can do with music: they take two sharply contrasting genres and make them sound harmonious together. It makes the sound more universal, which is a big asset to any artist's work because the whole point of music is to bring people together. Often times, I feel myself better able to relate with those I don't know very well through bands and artists we both like. Music is the ultimate connector between our tangled yet disheveled lives. So whether you like classical music, rock/alternative music, or are just an ambitious, experimental music listener, you will like Zox. So click the link above!

Happy listening,
Naz

5 comments:

  1. So, I just listened to the song and I quite liked it :) Incorporating classical instruments into a rock band is quite interesting. And I also love those bands that can be creative enough to combine complete opposite genres, and then do it so well too.

    Have you heard of the band "Apocalytpica"? It's a metal band. But 3 out of the 4 members play the Cello, while the 4th plays the drums. They have a metal look, metal feel - but they incorporate classical music so well. I think you'd be surprised when watching them. You couldn't get any more opposite than metal(thrash, progressive, post-grunge) and classical. They're rather unique

    Apocalyptica - Hope [Live]

    and

    Apocalyptica - Hope Version 2 (with a guest singer - official music video. warning; it's dark lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent heard of them but ill definitely check them out.i love bands with string instruments. maybe bc i used to play the viola

    thanks for the link :)

    -naz

    ps. idk why it wont let me comment as our profile. maybe bc im in michigan atm

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and also, i love metal music. so im sure ill love them! ill check them out and get back to u

    -naz

    ReplyDelete
  4. This site won't let me post whenever I'm on the Opera browser :/ Have to go to Firefox every time I come here lol

    Btw, I look forward to hearing your opinion on the band :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So i finally got the time to check them out. Definitely interesting. I loooooooove the cellos!! :)

    -naz

    ReplyDelete


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You seemed to have stumbled upon our blog.

We're Hera and Naz. Both of us are full time biology majors at the lovely University of Southern Indiana. When we're not out doing nerdy school stuff, we enjoy shopping, drinking slushies, and of course, writing on this awesome blog.

'What Makes the World Go Round' was started in August of 2011 to be a catch-all for our thoughts. We try and update as much as we can, depending on how hectic our lives. So bear with us. :) Please feel free to browse (by clicking on the cloud tabs above), comment and/or subscribe. We love hearing what you have to say!

Oh, and also remember to visit often. Happy browsing!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...